There are Three exciting workshops to choose from: Soft Tissue Release (Level 1) in-person, Soft Tissue Release (Level 1) - full
virtual and Advanced Soft Tissue Release (Level 2) in-person.
STR (Level 1) Workshops (In-Person and Virtual)
Who should take this workshop?
This workshop is extremely beneficial for any health care professional dealing with injuries or restrictions to soft tissue. Health care
providers such as physiotherapists, massage therapists, athletic therapists, chiropractors, kinesiologists, osteopaths and students from these
professions can benefit from this workshop.
This practical hands-on workshop is delivered in a unique, learner-centered way. A brief review of the anatomy and physiology of soft tissue,
and the changes in tissue resulting from injury, is followed by an explanation of how the application of soft tissue release (STR) techniques
can achieve positive results quickly and permanently. The two basic movements of STR are taught and then participants move into practical
sessions, applying STR skills and techniques to different body areas.
The workshop is organized to help participants learn the STR concepts and skills, and deliver the STR techniques in a way that is specific to
their size, posture and clientele. After completing the workshop participants will have the confidence and skills to properly apply the STR
skills and techniques to their clients immediately.
This course covers the entire body. Concepts build on participants’ knowledge of musculoskeletal anatomy and are presented in a way which is
quickly grasped by all. Some of the conditions included in the course are:
- Lower leg injuries - Plantar Fasciitis, Achilles Tendonitis, Shin Splints, Ankle Sprains, Foot and Arch pain, Sesamoiditis, Hammer and Claw Toes.
- Knee problems – Patellar Femoral Syndrome, ITB Friction Syndrome, Jumper’s Knee, Adductor and Hamstring Strains.
- Low Back/Hip - chronic and acute pain treatment – learn to successfully eliminate low back and hip pain, both acute and chronic, following a very simple yet effective protocol.
- Shoulder and Upper Extremity – releases for Deltoid, Pectoralis Major and Minor, Biceps, Triceps, Supraspinatus, Infraspinatus, Subscapularis, Trapezius, Levator Scapulae, Latissimus Dorsi, Rhomboids.
- Neck– Whiplash - chronic and acute neck pain.
- Elbow pain – Tennis and Golfer’s elbow.
- Forearm and Hand - Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and De Quervain’s Syndrome.
Please Note: STR skills and techniques can be easily integrated into your practice immediately following the course. Specific attention
is given to self-help, minimizing fatigue while maximizing results. Participants will also work through case studies to demonstrate their skills
obtained in the workshop. Each section will incorporate specific home programs focusing on self-release techniques enabling clients to help maintain
the success achieved from the treatments. Class size will be small to medium to ensure a good instructor/participant ratio.
Workshop Schedule and Duration
Soft Tissue Release (Level 1) in-person
The workshop will consist of the following components:
Soft Tissue Release (Level 1) Full Virtual
- 3-hour preparatory virtual session focusing on the STR theory, principles and skills.
- 2 days of in-person sessions focusing on the STR skills and STR techniques.
The workshop will consist of the following components:
- The workshop is delivered over four days (4-hour session per day).
- Techniques will be demonstrated live via zoom call and participants will be given ample time to practice the techniques and ask questions throughout the workshop. The techniques, demonstrations and practice time will be the same as the STR in-person workshops.
- Each session will be one week apart to help maximize participant retention and allow time to practice between sessions.
- The final session will include practical case studies to help participants organize techniques in a logical and effective manner. This will also act as a workshop review of the STR techniques.
- Participants will also receive a 45-minute virtual one-on-one session two weeks after the workshop to go over any questions or to review some techniques.
- Participants who register for the all virtual STR workshop will receive a discount on a future STR (Level 2) in-person workshop.
STR Level 1 will focus more on concepts, theoretical understanding, and STR skill acquisition. These important foundations are
critical in performing the STR techniques in an effective and efficient manner. Emphasis will be placed on the therapist’s manual skills ensuring
the techniques are easy to administer and focusing on therapist and client comfort. .
Participants will receive a colored illustrated manual, all PowerPoint notes, and course certificate upon successful completion.
Advanced (Level 2) Soft Tissue Release (STR) by Jim Bilotta
What is Advanced (Level 2) Soft Tissue Release (STR)?
Advanced Soft Tissue Release (Level 2) is a one - day practical workshop aimed at progressing the STR skills and techniques of therapists who
have completed Soft Tissue Release (Level 1). Over the past 10 years Soft Tissue Release by Jim Bilotta has continually evolved with more
techniques, modifications to existing techniques, and changes in protocols and sequences. These progressions and modifications, both theoretical
and practical, will be presented in the workshop.
Who can participate in this workshop?
This workshop will be offered to health care providers who have completed Soft Tissue Release Level 1 by Jim Bilotta.
Why should you participate in the STR Advance Level 2 workshop?
Most participants expressed an interest in returning after they had the chance to practice the techniques in their workplace. This advanced
workshop will give participants the opportunity to elevate their skills and understanding of STR to ensure they produce the best possible
results for their patients/clients.
This practical workshop will:
- Emphasize pressure (lock/glide) going from superficial structures to deep and selecting the most effective tool for optimal performance.
- Focus on strategies to ensure the patient/client actively moves towards the stretch. This is achieved by applying resistance against movements that are gravity assisted.
- Give participants the opportunity to concentrate more on application because they are already familiar with most of the techniques.
- Cover the entire body and participants will learn how to apply the techniques in a sequence rather than individually.
- Give participants practice cases to work with an injury by developing a sequence of techniques to ensure the appropriate muscles are addressed in an orderly fashion.
- Include Functional Soft Tissue Release (FSTR), aimed towards helping patients/clients safely return to work/sport or leisure activities. These techniques include functional movements that are common in sport, work and leisure activities. This unique concept focuses on applying pressure during the eccentric load on the muscle. Movements such as squats, lunges, dead lifts, push-ups, lat pull downs, seated rows will be examined in the workshop.
- Additional techniques which can be used on the diaphragm, obliques, TMJ and others will be included.
- Provide an opportunity for participants to discuss any challenges, successes or findings that they have experienced in their practice, with the instructor and fellow workshop attendees.
Participant/instructor ratio will be smaller to ensure more one on one opportunity with the instructor.
Manual for STR Level 1 and Level 2
The Soft Tissue Release (Level 1) manual and the Advanced Soft Tissue Release (Level 2) manual has been completely revised. All photos have
been updated and new techniques have been added. Manual updates are ongoing to ensure both manuals stay current and reflect the constantly
STR Workshop Accreditation
Soft tissue release training by Jim Bilotta is accredited with the following associations:
- Canadian Athletic Therapists Association (CATA) – 5.6 CEUs
- College of Massage Therapists of Ontario (CMTO) – 8 CEUs (Category A)
- College of Massage Therapists British Columbia (CMTBC) – 14 Credits
- Massage Therapists Association of Manitoba (MTAM) – 16 Credit
- Massage Therapist Association Of Saskatchewan (MTAS) - 16 Credits
- New Brunswick Massotherapy Association (NBMA) – 14 credits.
- Massage Therapy Association of Nova Scotia (MTANS) – 7 credits
- Massage Therapist Association of Alberta – (MTAA) 14 credits
- The College of Massage Therapists of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Association of New Brunswick Massage Therapists (ANBMT) 7 CEU’s